1/25/2012

"The Tunnel: When horror is underground"

Title: The Tunnel 
Year: 2011 
Genre: Drama, Horror, Thriller 
Director: Carlo Ledesma 
Writer: Enzo Tedeschi, Julian Harvey 
Runtime: 90min 
Cast: Bel Deliá, Andy Rodoreda, Steve Davis. 
Produc.: Distracted Media, Dlshs, Zapruder´s Other Films 
Budget.: AUD 135 thousand dollars approx. 

Before moving on to my comment, I think it is important that I clarify some particular aspects of this production.
The Tunnel is an Australian film, which, as mentioned above, was shot with very little money. Moreover, both its realization and distribution lacked any connection to the Hollywood industry. Even, after checking out on Wikipedia I found very interesting data: 
1. The film was shot in just 14 days. 
2. One of the means used for its distribution was uploading it to the BiTorrent system, to be downloaded for free, making it the first Australian film to do so. 
Why all this data? Because I intend to make it clear that, when commenting on a movie I will not have with it further consideration, for example, because it is an independent films, and less, if it is from the major studios; or because it was made with little money, and not several millions. And I think this should work well for everyone.
Regarding strictly to this movie, I am of the many who knew it via torrent. At first, when I found it I download it without having the slightest idea of ​​what it was about. Get to watch movies without knowing anything of their subjects is something I often do, which means that, whenever I come across a good one I enjoy it even more because everything in it was for me unexpected.
The Tunnel is a horror flick, but above all, of a lot of suspense. It begins when a group of reporters, three young men and a girl, intrigued by deciphering the mystery that hides the Australian Government on some disappearance, decide to descend to investigate some abandoned dark tunnels, well below the heart of the city of Sydney. For not returning to the surface empty-handed they carry with them a camera and a boom microphone to record everything. The viewer, meanwhile, will see only what is shown through this camera, which throughout the movie will be filming in night vision. And I say no more, because otherwise, it loses the charm.
In this manner, for what I've been explaining so far, The Tunnel would not come to be anything but a new derivative of the famous Blair Witch Project. In fact, the way it was filmed was exactly the same, although personally, I liked The Tunnel much more than the story of the Blair Witch. But that's just a matter of tastes.
What I want to emphasize, however, is the very good editing done by the screenwriters themselves, because otherwise the script would have never looked as it deserved and would have ended up being another film with the camera over shoulders.

My rating: 9/10


Para acceder a la versión en español haga click aquí

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario