1/25/2012

"Back to the beginnings: Super 8"

Title: Super 8
Year: 2011
Genre: Mistery, Thriller, C. Fiction
Director and Writer: J.J. Abrams
Runtime: 112min
Cast: Elle Fanning, Joel Courtney, Kyle Chandler
Produc.: Paramount Pictures, Amblin Entertainment, Bad Robot
Budget: $50 million dollars approx.

It was in 2010 that I found out that this movie had begun to be shot. And to be honest, although very few data was accessible via the Internet, I had no trouble convincing myself that this must be a quality product, because the very thought that there were collaborating two talented filmmakers of the surroundings (Spielberg and Abrams), it did not allow for negative thinking. Incidentally, the few snapshots uploaded to the web and the occasional videos, only served to increase my impatience.
Then came 2011 and with it, the premiere of JJ Abrams Super 8, and there was no spectator who did not highlighted the fact that Mr. Spielberg, for producing it, was doing something as great as re-telling a story, similar to those told by him in the 80s.
After its premiere in the USA, I did what I always do. Enter the famous site IMDB to find out what the public thought about it. I'm not saying that criticism or ratings published on this site have to be necessarily consistent, since there criticizes anyone who is registered, but I do think that the public opinion is ultimately the most important, because the film is made for them. In short, Super 8, on IMDB, went from having an 8 in the early days of its release in July, to having, four months later, a 7.4 on 10.
As for me, I went to see the movie full of expectations and ended up leaving the room, basically thinking the following: "A little entertaining film."
J.J. Abrams takes his audience back to the old cinema (call it "spielberian" if you want) of the 80s, a flick that combines a bit, ET with The Goonies, and also with some of the most recent War of the Worlds of Spielberg itself.
In order to understand what I am saying, in this movie that takes place in 1979 a group of children from a small town in Ohio witnesses one night how a truck crashed into a freight train, causing it to be derailed , and well, from here on, all to what that entails. Inexplicable things happen in the village, hidden events, etc.
So the film begins with mystery, using nice special effects, explosions and some action. However, as everything takes place, one should be realizing that everything that´s going on, we have already seen it before. That is, that the script written by Abrams adapts to tell us an entertaining story of science fiction, but handling, unfortunately, each and every one of the elements which by now are film clichés. Because Abrams apparently, or he did not bother to innovate and be original, or perhaps he just simply didn´t know how to do it.
When in the MovieCenter hall Super 8 began to reach its end, I, sitting in my place would have wanted to feel something, that the film touches me somewhere, but no. No such luck. I just waited for the end credits to finish and then I left the room.
In summary: An entertaining film, but which is mostly a cocktail of old classics.

My rating: 5/10


Para acceder a la versión en español haga click aquí

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario